- Category: COS News
- Published on Tuesday, 13 December 2016 03:34
- Written by Admin
- Hits: 498
Supervised by: Chair of the Board of Directors
Purpose of Position: To develop and carry out artistic programming, collaborations and concerts that enhances the mission of the organization.
Time Commitment: Flexible hours, evenings and weekends.
Salary: Contingent upon relevant experience.
Chorus Mission: …. Inspired by the joy of singing and hearing choral music, the Cumberland Oratorio Singers strives to be a premier symphonic chorus through the outstanding performance of choral masterworks. With a commitment to excellence and education for over 25 years, we work collaboratively with all singers to foster a vibrant, diverse, and interactive choral community, educate our singers and audiences, and extend our reach to the youth of Cumberland County and the Sandhills region.
1. Promote the Chorus’ focus on its mission (15%)
- Work with the Chorus, the Board, and volunteers to promote a positive atmosphere of community within the organization.
- Network with other arts organizations, music directors, and community groups to increase the visibility of the Chorus and to encourage collaboration.
2. Design, coordinate, and direct Chorus programming (50%)
- Organize an annual performance schedule including subscription concerts, and other outreach performances in the community.
- Organize a rehearsal schedule at the beginning of each concert quarter.
- Conduct auditions for Cross Creek Chorale annually.
- Coordinate with Director of Campbellton Youth Chorus for joint CYC/COS Performances.
- Design each concert performance including theme development and integration of guest artists, ensembles, soloists and visual elements.
- Contract with soloists and musicians (as needed) for each concert project.
- Coordinate with Board of Directors to select appropriate performance venues throughout the community for season concerts.
3. Provide supervision for music-related staff and volunteers (15%)
- Supervise the Accompanist.
- Identify, coach, and supervise the activities of Chorus section leaders and Assistant Director.
- Communicate regularly with section leaders regarding vocal issues, repertoire to cover in upcoming sectionals and other musical needs.
4. Collaborate with Marketing Director (10%)
- Identify concert themes and collaborations that support the chorus mission. Research appropriate music for the upcoming season.
- Ensure that current season music is selected and purchased with the assistance of Board Treasurer.
- Communicate with the Accompanist regarding the rehearsal list, tempos and other performance details for recording rehearsal recordings.
- Secure new arrangements and performance rights where appropriate.
5. Development and Finances (5%)
- Write narrative as needed for concert projects, work with Grants Coordinator to position grant focus, prepare grant budgets.
- Prepare annual budget in collaboration with the Board Treasurer.
6. Communicate regularly with the Board of Directors and other chorus leadership (5%)
- Attend Board meetings and provide a monthly report to the Board.
Required Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- BA or Advanced Degree in Music with an emphasis in choral conducting or equivalent conducting experience (minimum 5-6 years).
- Experience conducting or working with a community-based chorus and with singers of various musical skills and experience.
- Interest in and commitment to embracing the mission the Chorus.
- Ability to offer strong leadership skills as well as to balance work within a team setting.
- Flexibility in working with a diverse group of volunteers and personalities.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- An ability to work within electronic mediums: word processing, e-mail, internet and intranet.
If you are interested in applying for this position, the following items must be submitted no later than January 15, 2017:
- Letter of Intent
- Complete resume highlighting prior choral conducting/teaching experience.
- Two letters of Recommendation, with one coming from a direct supervisor.
- List of at least three (3) professional references.
Three finalists will be chosen from the completed application packets submitted and will be contacted for an audition in front of the full COS membership no later than February 1, 2017. Finalists will also need to prepare a Concert Season plan by choosing choral works for three concerts. The concerts must follow a central theme to be chosen by the finalist.